From Missouri Digital News: https://mdn.org
MDN Menu

MDN Home

Journalist's Creed

Print

MDN Help

MDN.ORG: Missouri Digital News
MDN Menu

MDN Home

Journalist's Creed

Print

MDN Help

MDN.ORG Mo. Digital News Missouri Digital News MDN.ORG: Mo. Digital News MDN.ORG: Missouri Digital News
Lobbyist Money Help  

Holden responds to House compromise on tobacco securitization

February 13, 2003
By: Megan Murphy
State Capital Bureau

Governor Bob Holden responded to the House passage of a bill that limits him to usage of 150 million dollars of tobacco securitization funds, but the Governor says he still wants more.

Holden says he is pleased with the progress, but will still urge the Senate to increase the amount taken from the tobacco settlement funds. He says the more money taken from these funds means the less money that will have to be taken out of education. Governor Bob Holden

Actuality:
RunTime: 10
OutCue: "the future"


Contents: "My goal is to be able to fund education because when we don't fund education, then we're short changing children's opportunities for the future."

As it stands, the Governor says 82.3 million dollars will have to be cut from education. Holden says 75 percent of this figure will come from elementary and secondary ed., and the remaining 25 percent will come from higher ed.

In Jefferson City, Megan Murphy, for Missouri Capitol Caucus


Governor Bob Holden responded to the House compromise on tobacco securitization by saying he will urge the Senate to take more money from the tobacco funds.

The Governor says this debate has not been a political contest, but is about two differing views on how to reach the same goal.

Actuality:
RunTime:
OutCue:
Contents: "When we don't fund education, that hurts the urban districts, that hurts the rural districts, that hurts the rich and the poor kids, that hurts the Democrat and Republican children alike. This is not about whose got will in Jefferson City, its about doing what's right for the people of the state of Missouri.

In addition, Holden plans to encourage school superintendants to contact their Senators and express the need for a complete education budget.

In Jefferson City, Megan Murphy, for Missouri Capitol Caucus