Stories by Emma Nicolas in 2015 include:
Stories by Emma Nicolas in 2014 include:
Emma Nicolas's Tweets @MDNnews in 2015
- 09/30/2015: Missouri's Supreme Court hears an appeal to keep a juvenile off the state's sex offender list. http://bit.ly/1Vron3v
Emma Nicolas's Tweets @MDNnews in 2014
- 01/30/2014: Government officials could have to get a warrant before accessing information from a cell phone. http://bit.ly/1ffWoQ7
- 01/28/2014: MoDoT annual report reveals lack of funding due to lacking fuel tax revenue http://bit.ly/Ms9h1N
- 01/28/2014: Savings at the pump may be costing MoDoT http://bit.ly/1hUyD5k
- 02/13/2014: Governor Nixon reveals negotiations with Republican leader of the tax cut efforts http://bit.ly/1jCVfrV
- 02/18/2014: A representative from Missouri National Education Association opposed House firearm bill. http://bit.ly/1gT21Go
- 02/20/2014: Missouri teacher of the year, Jamie Manker,is testifying in opposition to a bill that would ban Common Core Standards. emmasuenicolas
- 02/20/2014: Missouri lawmakers debate retreating from federal Common Core Standards http://bit.ly/1hUyD5k
- 02/20/2014: Mo. lawmakers and teachers heavily debate retreating from the Common Core standards in schools. http://bit.ly/1fDDSjF
- 02/25/2014: Tuesday served as ethics day for Missouri lawmakers in both the House and the Senate. http://bit.ly/1ehvEkZ
- 03/06/2014: Missouri backed by five states in suing California for egg law http://bit.ly/1hUyD5k
- 03/06/2014: Five states plan to aid Missouri Attorney General in challenging California's egg law. http://bit.ly/1cG5e8l
- 03/11/2014: Missouri House votes to implement a tax on cell phone's for 911 calls. http://bit.ly/1oKh0E1
- 04/03/2014: House seeks to nullify federal gun laws in a measure passed Thursday. http://bit.ly/1hUyD5k
- 04/03/2014: Missouri House passes federal gun law nullification measure http://bit.ly/1dW9Z3p
- 04/15/2014: Missouri legislators debate giving the public a voice in deciding if teachers can carry guns. http://bit.ly/1iWfhtg
- 04/29/2014: Missourians may have trouble attaining unemployment benefits http://bit.ly/1hUyD5k
- 04/29/2014: Lawmakers sent a measure that could limit those eligible for unemployment benefits, to the governor's desk. http://bit.ly/1hbpeBH
- 05/01/2014: Lawmakers passed a bill that would make hemp oil legal for epileptics uncured by other treatments. http://bit.ly/1pTY1wv
- 05/06/2014: Medicaid Expansion protestors filled Senate gallery while singing, chanting and praying. Each escorted out by Capitol police.
- 05/06/2014: Medicaid expansion protestors fill Senate gallery http://bit.ly/1hUyD5k
- 05/06/2014: Medicaid expansion protest in Senate public gallery led to 23 arrests. http://bit.ly/QbGxeG
- 05/14/2014: A sales tax increase passed and will appear on the Missouri ballot to boost transportation funding http://bit.ly/1mZKf67
Emma Nicolas's Blog in 2014
Within the past few weeks the news flow has slowed down somewhat, but I did get to write an article on a series of ethics bills brought before a House Committee. I enjoyed writing that.
There are less committee hearings now, so we are beginning to work on our feature stories. I am pretty excited about our feature story idea, but it will definitely take a lot of research and time to piece together. That's what makes this fun though, right?
I still feel I am learning new things every time I come to MDN. That may sound cliche, but it is true. Recently, I have whipped out my notepad to write down lessons learned that I don't want to forget. For example, Phil told me to picture someone whose attention I would be trying to get with the articles I write. It's so important to picture who you are writing for while you are writing. It's the only way to dissect three hours of information into a page long article.
Missouri Digital News is produced by Missouri Digital News, Inc. -- a non profit organization of current and former journalists.